Dental Health Expert Forum
Bleeding wisdom tooth?

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Bleeding wisdom tooth?
I have an appointment in less then a week to have my last wisdom tooth removed, it is a partial bony impaction in my lower jaw. I'm 28 years old and it looks very decayed under the gum flap, sometimes a notice small red steaks or dots in it.

There has been blood in my spit sometimes for about three weeks now, usually fresh. Although once or twice I coughed up some old blood in the morning. Sometimes it bleeds when I cough (although I keep spitting blood three or four more times without additional coughing), and sometimes I only have to use mouthwash and there will be blood afterward.

My question is it possible that the bleeding is due to my wisdom tooth? There has not been any pain for a long time, the tooth is long dead. I've heard of gums bleeding but not teeth. I just want to see if it's likely the blood is coming from the tooth or somewhere else
Its most likely from the gums.  Its pretty rare for the tooth to bleed from the inside.  I hope that all goes well.  Any other weird symptoms besides the bleeding though?