Dental Health Expert Forum
Bone Poking Through My Gum

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Bone Poking Through My Gum

So here is my story...I don't have insurance so I searched and searched until I found a dentist who would help me. I finally found this dentist. I thought they were the answer to my prayers. The accountant told me they would do all my extractions and the denture for $1000. She told me I just needed to make payments. I went home called my mom and she sent in a $200 payment. They set me up for my first appointment. i thought they were going to just pull the bad ones, but the ended up pulling all of them except 5 in the front. Which I was ok with because they were going to do the denture after the swelling went down...or so I thought! As soon as I was done with the procedure they took me to the accountant and she told me that I had to pay the remaining $800 before they would set me up another appointment. So great here I am with 5 Upper teeth almost a whole month later.

After I left the dentist I went home and took my gauze out and noticed he didn't put a single stitch in my mouth which I though twas really weird, I called they said it was fine. They didn't send me home with any gauze instructions or anything!  I ended up with dry socket ( Go Figure). The same day I went home I felt around my "holes" and noticed a huge piece of either bone or tooth left where my upper molar was. Then in 2 other places. So I called they got me in that Friday with a different dentist. He didn't deal with extractions. All he did was look at my mouth n say yep there is some bone in there. They told I needed to wait a few days to heal a little more...I assumed they were going to call me! they didn't so a week later I went in and my dentist took the bone out of the molar. I told him about the other two spots and I thought he fixed them...he didn't they are still poking out and causing so much pain! At this point I just don't know what to do!

A friend told me that only oral surgeons are suppose to remove your molars. Is that true? Any advice it appreciated
No, a general dentist can do extractions and remove teeth as well.  

If there are bony spicules sticking out of the gums, there's only two treatments for it.  The dentist can remove the bone or you can wait for the gums to push them out but it may take a significant amount of time (possibly weeks).