Dental Health Expert Forum
Bone Spicule After Wsdom Tooth Extraction

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Hello-

I had my upper wisdom tooth extracted 11 days ago. About 6 days after the extraction, a bone spicule appeared under my upper gumline and since then has poked through my gum. I saw the DR in oral surgery and he said that it doesn't look broken off and that my body will reabsorb it.

-My questions are: Since it has poked through now, is it dangerous to have this bone point sticking out of your gum, will it cause an infection?

-Will it still be reabsorbed since it has poked through the gum??

-How long could this take? Should I have this removed or is it safe to wait a few months (As I will be going out of the country for 4 weeks and out of my state for another 3 for a total of 7 weeks, so I won't have access to my dentist)???

Thank You, Scarlett
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I don't think that you will get an infection but considering your schedule I would err on the side of caution and have it removed.
I think I have asimilar problem as Scarlet. I went to the dentist about 14days ago. I had an impacted wisdom tooth and its molar neighbour was the reason it too had to go.Cavity.

I got stitches afterwards and had them removed three days ago. But that same day, i realised there was somehting pricking my inner cheeck I went back to the dentist and it was dicovered that a peace of bone from my nasal cavity was the cause. I was told that maybe my nasal cavity was open during the 20 minnutes operation. In less that 12 hours' time am going to the Dentist's again in order to have the bone leveled as it is casing discomfort.

I would like to know what risk are associated with this conditon and any attempts to rectify it? Are they long term or short term.

Thank you.