Dental Health Community
Bone grafting for wisdom tooth extraction
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Bone grafting for wisdom tooth extraction

7153884?1313462439
I am 24 years old and was referred to an oral surgeon for my wisdom teeth extraction. All four wisdom teeth are impacted, the top two have erupted through the skin, but the bottom two have not come through yet. The oral surgeon informed never once mentioned bone grafting- until I got to the counter and the recptionist was putting together the treatment plan- and then it was mentioned that it was recommended to have bone grafting done after the extraction of the bottom two wisdom teeth. I have read many posts on here about this same situation and like many others- I am the only person I know that this has been suggested to when having their wisdom teeth extracted. The only situtation I have heard that bone grafting is neseccary for is for other teeth and when an implant is intended thereafter. My question is - does it sound like I really need the bone grafting or are they just trying to make more money - since my insurance wont cover that part and its $280/tooth?
I have attached a picture of my x-ray