Dental Health Community
Bone growing through side of gums after wisdom removal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

I had my wisdom teeth removed on 1/30/2009, last Friday, On monday, my togue started to "catch" on something, and it begain cutting it open, I assumed it was the stitches, I called the Doc who did my Surgury and went in today (Wednesday), he removed the stitches from the area and called it good, I couldn't feel it catching any more so I then assumed it was the stitches  and didnt think any more of it. A few hours later, I felt the same pain again (I went through the surgury wide awake and not drugged, and this hurt more than that.  So I grabbed a pen light and looked inside my mouth, feeling the "thing" my tongue was catching on,  cutting my finger in the process.  I looked and saw it had the color of a tooth, or bone. I called back, and since my Doc had left, I saw another Doc I had never seen before, he looked and said it was a bone that grew through the side of my mouth, and that it would evenuallty die and flake off. He said he did not want to do anything with it, as it wasn't that big of a deal, I tried to explain to him I have had to place guaze in my mouth between my gum and the object to stop from bleeding and hurting 24/7 and its almost impossible to drink or eat. But he just got up and left, telling me to leave it alone, and it would go away after about 2 weeks.

Now, I broke part of it off with my finger a little bit ago, a little blood, but it feels better and not so much pain on my tongue, is it safe for me to remove the rest that is sticking out, I can do it with my finger, of course after thourghly washing my hands and wearing gloves, or I can have my dad or mom do it,(health care providers with access to gloves) but, more importantly am I opening up my mouth to risk by trying to remove it, I know I am already at risk with the wisdom teeth, but this bone is killing me, so thats why i am asking, I don't mind waiting the few weeks, but if I can I would rather not suffer through it.
When you remove teeth, there is sometimes a knife edge ridge left that was in contact with the tooth.  Often, when a surgeon sees this, he will smooth it off before closing the wound.  If missed, the sharp edge poses a problem when the gums try to heal over it.

Now, usually these spots are small, they will resorb over time, and going after them can cause more trauma.  However, I would have gone back and fixed that spot if it was bothering you that much.

Is it safe to remove the rest?  Probably, as long as you dont cause any more trauma.   I would not risk it if its not killing your tongue anymore.  If it does not resolve in 2 weeks, definantly go back to your surgeon.
Roger,  I had my father remove the rest, it bled for about 30 seconds, then clotted over and stopped, He used a pair of forceps, There is still a visible white "bone" or whatever it is, but it is smooth and we covered it with guaze,  It feels fine when touched, and pain scale is from a 5 to a zero now, so it appears it worked, (plus its nice to be able to move my tongue around ;-) ) I will check in with my surgern if I think its getting worse than better.

Thanks for the quick reply.
like others had a wt out and now have a very painfull bone stabbing my tongue .but due to the nature of my work it mifgt be a long time b4 i can get it sorted ..good luck to anybody with this problem  andy druid leaver
Beside the surgury site after the surgery after about 3 weeks my face got swollen it felt like my cheek was stitched to that spot is that what your feeling?
i just removed 2 small sharp flakes from my gums and it feels better but i can feel more boney material where these pieces broke off....Will this material dissolve or do i need to have it cut out?
I had a similar problem, with the bits of tooth or even mode that are not attached to the upper or lower jaw(where ever the extraction took place.) They will eventually be forced out of your gums over time, and I do not think any surgical dentist would cut them out, unless they are seriously greedy when it comes to money. A dentist willing to cause unnecessary trauma is not a good dentist in my opinion. However if the patient is persistent, they may cave and do it.

My advice is just wait. Though I would talk to your dentist anyway. If you do not have insurance, or are just low on cash, give the office a call and ask about it. Your dentist may not even need you to come in.
Just noticed how old this thread is. . .*face palms*
I have this problem. It is not a tooth but a growth from the jaw bone. I had it some years ago when my dentist filed it down. Now following a tooth extraction it has recurred and appears to be growing. There is a needle sharp point sticking through the gum and shredding my tongue. It hurts when I eat and now when I talk. I have been referred to an oral surgeon but it is so intolerable that I'm seeing a dentist tomorrow to see if I can have the point at least removed.