Dental Health Expert Forum
Bones in lower part of moutn

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Bones in lower part of moutn

My daughter and I have bones in the lower part of our mouths.  Mine don't bother me except when popcorn or other foods get stuck between the two sides of the bones.  However, my daughter is taking prednisone which is causing more bones to pop out and eventually break off.  She has seen an oral surgeon who is going to remove the bones in September.  Is this a fairly easy operation?  When I think of removing all of the bones, I get the feeling that it would be a very painful operation.  However, it is somewhat painful having the bones come through the gums and then breaking off.  With all her other problems (taking predinsone for allergies that are causing pneumonia), I would hate to see her making a mistake by having the bones removed.  Thanks.
Your surgeon should be perfectly fine with removing some excess bone.  Is this a "tori" that we are referring to?  A tori usually doesn't push through the gums.  I wonder what the cause of it is though.  

The procedure should go smoothly overall cause the incision will be made to remove the bone and since there will be extra gum tissue left with no bone underneath, suturing the area closed will be much easier than when you remove a tooth and there's still a socket open.