Dental Health Community
Botox for Trismus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Botox for Trismus

I've had trismus for over 3 weeks now after having a cracked tooth pulled.  This tooth had considerable work done on it and was going to get a crown when the dentist discovered it was cracked all the way down to the root.  My jaw was getting very stiff each time work was done.  Two days later I had it pulled and got the trismus.  I am currently going to both the oral surgeon, and a physical therapist.  I can assure you that nothing so far has worked.  Would botox?  If so, where would be a good place to have this type of treatment?  
Trismus is a common complacation after lower molar extraction. However, it tends to resolve within a week if appropriate antibiotics is administered. Another common cause of trismus is disc displacement without reduction. If there is no disc pathology involved, application of cold spray along masseter muscle , restoration of normal rang of motion is generally immediately restored. Seeing a tmj specialist is advised.
I am seeing a specialist and have done this, to no avail.  Have you heard of Botox for it?
Botox exserts it's therapeutic effect by blocking neuromuscular junction, which resultis in paralysis of targeted muscle. However, therapeutic effect lasts 3-6 months. The clinician really needs to know whether mechanical blockage of tmj is present or not. Seeing a competent tmj specialist is advised.