Dental Health Expert Forum
Braces Con's, Pro's, Function, & Price

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Braces Con's, Pro's, Function, & Price

My dentist and many friends advised me to get braces.  
1.  What are the Braces Con's & Pro's?  Straight Teeth and Pain when tightening the teeth.  I mean like serious Con's like disease and errors that can happen.  
2.  Is it possible for the teeth to be crooked after taking the braces off.  
3.  Is it possible to get high quality never been use braces around $1000 and how?   Is there a insurance can give         on average 75 percent discount or free high quality never been use braces?  
4.  How does braces work?  
5   How can they effect a person's life?  
6.  I heard if your teeth is mess up, you can have have speech problem.  Can Braces correct speech problems?
7.  i heard you wear braces for 2 years then retainers for 2 years.  Is the estimated cost $1000-5000 a one time payment or payment for each year.
8.  Is there anything a person should know before getting braces?
Tags: dentist
Avatar_dr_m_tn
These are all excellent questions and you need to ask them of the orthodontist that will treat you. You might see your general dentist for a referral, and get an idea if in fact orthodontics is the correct treatment for you.
I'm not an orthodontist, but I can tell you a few things as an adult who just finished having braces...Yes, teeth can be crooked after taking the braces off, especially when patients aren't compliant about following through with the retainment plan set out by the orthodontist, but even then there are some cases where teeth move back into their crooked position.  There are lots of pros to braces.  Orthodontics can help improve your bite, they can improve your smile, they can help prevent decay by moving crooked teeth into positions that are easier to clean.  Braces have evolved a lot during the past few decades....they don't "tighten" the braces anymore....when you get braces, the brackets are each individually adhered to each tooth...when you go in for an adjustment they take out the old wire, and insert a new wire of a different strength.  The wires are heat activated so that the tension doesn't occur until they warm up to the temperature in your mouth.  And braces aren't recycled!  I can't tell you about insurance since I don't have dental insurance.  I paid out of pocket for my treatment.   The cost of treatment also depends on the treatment plan.  In my case I had full upper and lower braces for just over 18 months (now with bonded retainers top and bottom) and I paid about 6,000 for the full course.

My advice....most orthodontists now provide free consultations....go to several of them and see what treatment options each suggests...you might be surprised at how much they differ.  When I was exploring getting braces, I went to 3 consultations.  The first orthodontist wanted to use a jaw expander for 6 months, then braces.  The second orthodontist wanted to extract 4 teeth, then braces.  The third felt that expanders and extractions weren't necessary at all and just wanted the braces.  I'll let you guess which one I chose;)
at age 21 i had all four wisdom teeth removed. the top two had grown sideways and pushed the rest of my teeth outward; now i have a gaping overbite and my top canines are protruding and crowding the premolars. even though the head aches and gum aches are gone, can braces or invisalign be used to push back my teeth to counter the damage done by the wisdom teeth? a dentist--not an orthodontist--once told me that braces or invisalign could not move molars, is this true? i now have plenty of space behind my molars to push back my teeth into "ideal" place, which would retract my canines.
I have braces and they are rotating a molar dont know if they can actually move them though...