Dental Health Community
Breastfeeding and Wisdom Tooth Removal
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Breastfeeding and Wisdom Tooth Removal

I have one wisdom tooth up top that is fully emerged and had plenty of room to come out. But now the lower wisdom tooth on the same side is emerging and there is not enough room down there! I keep biting the inside of my cheek and it appears to be slightly emerging into the side of my cheek. The pain has been going on 3 days now and it is getting difficult to eat.

My big concern is that I'm exclusively breastfeeding my 2-month-old baby and she will not take a bottle. How would getting my wisdom teeth removed mean for nursing? Is it safe to nurse while taking the post-removal pain medication? Can they just use Novicaine or must they use something stronger? How long does the surgery take (as my baby nurses every 2-3 hours)?

I have to wait until after Christmas to call a dentist since no one will be available until after the holiday. In fact I don't even have a dentist in this area so who knows how long I will have to endure this pain. So any information would be most helpful!
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Can you pump in preperation for the day you have the novacaine?  Novacaine will only last a few hours, so you won't even need a full day's supply. But then you may have to take some pain medication for a couple of days afterwards and you don't want this going into the baby thru your breast milk.  
Blank
376739_tn?1317669990
Well I once put my hand through a window when pregnant with my second daughter. ER prescribed me Tylenol 3 (with Codeine) after getting stitched up and I never filled the RX. I have nerve damage in my thumb and was in excruciating pain but it was worth it to not pass the pain killers to mu unborn child.

So........ if it comes down to it I probably won't take anything not approved while breastfeeding because my baby has to eat and I'm not going to force-feed her a bottle if she won't take it.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Dental Health Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...