Dental Health Community
Breastfeeding and Wisdom Tooth Removal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Breastfeeding and Wisdom Tooth Removal

I have one wisdom tooth up top that is fully emerged and had plenty of room to come out. But now the lower wisdom tooth on the same side is emerging and there is not enough room down there! I keep biting the inside of my cheek and it appears to be slightly emerging into the side of my cheek. The pain has been going on 3 days now and it is getting difficult to eat.

My big concern is that I'm exclusively breastfeeding my 2-month-old baby and she will not take a bottle. How would getting my wisdom teeth removed mean for nursing? Is it safe to nurse while taking the post-removal pain medication? Can they just use Novicaine or must they use something stronger? How long does the surgery take (as my baby nurses every 2-3 hours)?

I have to wait until after Christmas to call a dentist since no one will be available until after the holiday. In fact I don't even have a dentist in this area so who knows how long I will have to endure this pain. So any information would be most helpful!
Can you pump in preperation for the day you have the novacaine?  Novacaine will only last a few hours, so you won't even need a full day's supply. But then you may have to take some pain medication for a couple of days afterwards and you don't want this going into the baby thru your breast milk.  
Well I once put my hand through a window when pregnant with my second daughter. ER prescribed me Tylenol 3 (with Codeine) after getting stitched up and I never filled the RX. I have nerve damage in my thumb and was in excruciating pain but it was worth it to not pass the pain killers to mu unborn child.

So........ if it comes down to it I probably won't take anything not approved while breastfeeding because my baby has to eat and I'm not going to force-feed her a bottle if she won't take it.