Dental Health Expert Forum
Bridge pain

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Bridge pain

In Jan of this year I had the upper right second molar (2) removed which was broken off last year. The first molar (1) also had a large filling which fell out. The dentist talked me into getting a bridge.

I wasn't able to chew with the temporary bridge because it hurt. Told the dentist numerous times. He said the permeant bridge would be better. Did not have cold sensitivity.

Permeant bridge was glued in with temporary cement in mid March. Even though my mouth was numb it hurt. Told the dentist that is felt really tight and not comfortable. He said give it a few days. Still can't chew on it and cold drinks are very painful.

Dentist adjusted by grinding down parts of bridge. Still painful. Sent me to a Endodontist. She recommends getting a root canal in tooth (1) and (3) through the bridge. She said the teeth have needed it for quite some time and it's just a coincidence the same day that I got the permanent bridge that cold sensitivity started.

I'm not really buying into this.  Any insight into this?  What type of dentist should I go to for a second opinion?
Well, the only other explanation for the pain besides pure coincidence is that there was severe decay or problems with the teeth.  Because of the drilling and trauma to the teeth from preparing it from the bridge, it may have triggered an irreversible pulpal degeneration of the nerves, resulting in them dying and causing pain.  Unfortunately, its not the fault of the dentist.  There's no way this point in time that any dentist can predict a pulpal degeneration.  Sometimes the injury from multiple cavities/fillings can finally result in the tooth being less able to heal itself and the trauma from drilling can tip it off.  Sometimes just having a big cavity can do it too.  
Thank you for answering my question.  I guess we disagree.  I do blame the dentist for this.  The same day he placed my permanent bridge he also filled a cavity on another tooth.  He said it was a small cavity.  He broke the tooth and claims it must have had a stress fracture.  Opps, you will now need a crown on that tooth.

I am not here saying all dentist are bad, but there are rotten apples in every profession.  
I agree with you on the rotten apples.  Unfortunately dentists are just human beings too and you get some good ones and you get some bad ones.  

I would suggest you bring up your concerns with your dentist and see if you can find some resolution to your concerns.  As a dentist, I would always want my patients to express their concerns to me so I can address them.  Most patients that enter a practice are generally through word of mouth so a dentist's reputation is important to their success.  
One more question.  Just to confuse me more I went to a recommended prosthodontist today.  He said if I have cold sensitivity then the nerve is alive.  He wants to take this permeant bridge off and make a temporary bridge and have me wear it for a weak or two to see if I still have pain and sensitivity to cold.  If not then the permanent bridge is the problem.  If I still need the root canals then get them done through the temporary bridge and then put the bridge back on.  

And advice??
I agree with the prosthodontist if the cold sensitivity is mild and lingers for about 20 seconds or less.  With that test, we normally would diagnose it as a reversible pulpitis, meaning once the irritation or problem is removed, it can REVERSE.  If it doesn't improve after 4 weeks (I would wait long personally), then it would be deemed an irreversible pulpitis and a root canal would be needed.