Dental Health Community
Broken jaw after wisdom tooth removal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Broken jaw after wisdom tooth removal

I recently had my wisdom teeth out (all 4 at once).  While it seemed as though the surgery went well, I discovered i had a chipped tooth that I am positive was chipped during the surgery.  I could tell that the oral surgeon wasn't too thrilled that I was claiming that he chipped my tooth, but the chip was in the front of my mouth and besides being physically noticable, I could feel it on my toungue immediately.  Anyway, 10 days after my surgery, I bit down on a soft piece of bread and heard and felt a horrible crack.  I thought I had chipped my tooth, but after investigating my mouth, I couldn't find the problem.  I could not chew at all after hearing the crack.  The next morning, I called the oral surgeon who suggested I come in for an x-ray the next day as he believed that I had broken my jaw.  When I went in, the break was not visible on the x-ray, but he said he was certain that was what happened after hearing my symtoms (symptoms).  He is giving me the benefit of the doubt by not wiring my jaw shut if I can stay on a liquid diet for 6 weeks and be very careful.  It's been a little over a week and I am paranoid that I am making the break worse.  It is still very sore, which I would imagine is to be expected, but sometimes it feels as though I am "pulling" the break apart once it starts to heal a little.  It's hard to explain the sound and pain that I feel when I move my jaw the wrong way or accidently bite down.  

I guess my question is, how rare is this?  The oral surgeon admitted that this is a freak complication of having my wisdom teeth out.  I have had a hard time finding out any information on the internet about other cases similar to mine.  Could this be negligence on his part?  I am not a litigous person and am not looking to sue him; however, if I have to have my jaw wired shut, I will have to go on disability and will face a large loss of income for the time off.  I just want to know what my options are and whether this could have been prevented.  I am now miserable and wishing that I would have never had my teeth pulled at all.

Please help!  Thanks!!
A broken jaw from wisdom tooth removal is one of the more rare complications, but its still common enough that we are taught about a fair amount about it in school and how to handle it.  Its highly unlikely that anything the oral surgeon did would have caused it (except he took out the tooth), especially 10 days later.  The only chance of negligence on his part would be how he handles the situation now.  But from what you mentioned, he is doing everything he can.

I would keep going to him every week or two just to follow up and make sure things aren't getting worse (should be a free visit).  If you have not already, I would talk to your dentist about your concerns, the more he knows, the better he can take care of you.

I am sorry this had to happen to you. I wish you well in your recovery!
recovering money could be difficult. most oral surgeons have you sign a waiver just in cast complications occur. if you signed a disclaimer you will probably get nothing. if you didnt you will still have to find another dentist that will go on record stating negligence caused your problem. since many thing can go wrong during a procedure it is very difficult to prove that the dentist is at fault.