Dental Health Community
Broken tooth and calculus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Broken tooth and calculus

Hey everyone!

Since I had my wisdom teeth extracted, I developped teeth stone/calculus on my lower back teeth ...god knows why because before that I never ever had it.
Anyway, because the teeth extraction was hard, the surgeon accidently damaged my teeth next to it, which made a crack, and hard to reach with brush etc... I also sometimes clench my teeth at night, and so one night i woke up from a crack in my mouth and pain. A part of my teeth broke off.
Here is the pic:

[img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y99/annemesis/tandafgebr.jpg[/img]

So I went to my dentist , he fixed it and said the tooth stone wasnt really tooth stone, and the black things were former cavities that started to develop but didnt.
Anyway... He didnt really treated the black spots but im still kinda worried about them, that is why I post this on this website, to see what you have to say.

here is a pic from now
Note: my teeth are not yellow, its from my camera and the lightning which was yellow

[img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y99/annemesis/tooth.jpg[/img]
Annvdb1986,

Calculus forms from biofilm (in the past known as plaque). Without going into too much detail - the biofilm attaches to the tooth, biofilm is not removed, it is mineralized -> calculus formed. The biofilm LOVES to stay in hard to reach places, overhanging restorations (amalgam with big, bulky angles is a good example), open contacts (teeth not touching each other) and other fun places.
The calculus can easily be removed by dental hygienists.

The two dark spots at the cervical line of the tooth do look a bit like a demin. ("young" caries). Hmmm, it is a tough call without actually using explorer to see whenever it sticks and x-rays.
I would personally ask for a second opinion from another dentist.

A bit of advice, use fluorided toothpaste, if you drink tea/coffee use the tap-water and not from the bottles <- this may depend on the country/state so countries do not have fluorided water.

Lastly, ask your dentist/hygienist about fluoride varnish treatment. It's been used in Europe for quite awhile now as caries prevention treatment, sadly it is yet to be approved in US (US recognizes fluoride varnish only as a product to reduce/remove tooth hypersensitivity).
If you ARE in US and is interested into looking for fluoride treatment the best bet would be to search for the closest dentistry/dental hygiene school. The fluoride treatment is NOT covered by insurance, hence the advice to look for the school. Depending on the state it may cost 15-20$ for the appointment to have your teeth cleaned, x-rayed, polished and fluorided.

Ok thanks. We dont have fluoride in our water, many of the health care professionals already recognize it is actually harmful for the human body. http://mistyhorizon2003.hubpages.com/hub/Why-is-Fluoride-Bad-for-You

I brush my teeth mostly in the evening.
I use bottled water, which has been tested as the best water in belgium, scoring 9.5/10 . Tap water only 6.5/10 . Our tap water has chloride in it, which dries out my skin, so I avoid it whenever I can. Gives me dandruff as well as dry skin on my body. I now use a shower filter and it fixed that problem.

But I will get a second opinion from another dentist as well about the teeth. I still connect it to my wisdom tooth extractions. Since then, the trouble started.
I would like to strongly disagree with you. People have to understand that fluoride is good in >low< doses. The URL you provided had research which was done in 1930s, 1940s, the most recent one which seemed was used was from 1990s. Not to mention that it seems to be a type of blog.

If you are to take time and read dentistry journals or take a bit of time and do research through say LexisNexis Academy research, EBSCOHost, Elsevier or even Google Scholar you would be quite surprised.

Case and point:
There are only 2 ways we know of today how we can remineralize our enamel: our own saliva (it is two way street them, it both remineralizes and demineralizes) and fluoride.

Respectfully,
Caliban