Dental Health Expert Forum
Bump on lower jaw bone

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Bump on lower jaw bone

I had a root canal and several weeks later noticed a pea-sized hard lump on my lower jaw bone, directly down from the root canal.  The dentist who put my crown on after the root canal, said that the lump had nothing to do with the root canal, and that I probably always had this lump.  Does this sound reasonable?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
It does sound reasonable but I would a definitive diagnosis on the 'lump'. See an oral surgeon for that diagnosis.
could be. if it is hard, it may just be a bony growth.
I have the same thing after a root canal.  After 3 dentists, scans, x-rays and a mri......an oral surgeon and I figured it out.  Back when I had the root canal I couldn't get numb so the dentist that did the root canal injected twice into my jawbone with the anesthesia. I guess now I have a indentation in my jawbone from that injection and it has filled with some scar tissue.  It showed up finally on the scan that I had.  Did you have an injection in your jaw to get you numb?  Just wondering if we have the same thing. I have had a few root canals with no problem, this is the first one that gave me a problem and the first one that I had the jaw injection.
Abcesses can cause jaw bone deformities.  Definitely have it seen to again.