Dental Health Expert Forum
Bumps on Back of Tongue

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Bumps on Back of Tongue

I have had bumps way back towards the end of the tongue, for over a month now. I am not sure how long before the first time I noticed them they have been there, maybe it was only a month or so when I felt them. There are three small clustered together on one side and only one on the other side of the tongue. They are of same color as the tongue (pale pink), don't hurt at all and only at time (maybe once a week) may feel as there is something on the tongue. I am on Nexium for GERD for the last 4 months. When my Gastro looked at them he was too casual as saying they are some sort of ulcers. I am also not sure if they are some sort of a reaction to Nexium.

Should I seek another opinion of a different doctor? From the description of these bumps do they sound something serious? Doing research on bumps on the internet is quite scary...

Many Thanks
Avatar_dr_m_tn
They do not sound like something serious.  It sounds somewhat like normal anatomy.  To be sure, have your dentist or an oral surgeon take a look.
they could be circumvallate pappillae, which is normal anatomy. i'd see a dentist to have it checked.
I just found the same thing on the back of my tongue. It felt like a popcorn husk stuck on the back of my tongue and when I looked I found the bumps. Just like you, a couple on one side and about twice as many on the other. No pain, they don't look ulcerated, just bumps. Also, like you, when I researched on the internet, it just scares you what you find.  I'd love to hear what you found out about your's and if they have cleared up.
A related discussion, Bumps on back of tongue was started.
A related discussion, No pain bumps at back of throat on tongue was started.
A related discussion, 5w was started.