DENTAL HEALTH
COMMUNITY
Burning Sensation/Sensitive Tongue
by fulluvquestions, May 03, 2007
I've had a burning sensation on my tongue for about 1.5 weeks and I dont know if I should visit my dentist or make a doctor appt. My tongue feels as though I've burned it but I havent. Its very sensitive to citrus, spicy foods and its hard to even taste the food. Its even difficult to brush because of the toothpaste, it feels like my tongue and mouth are burning. Also, at the same time the sensations started, I got small red bumps all over my mouth. Very small but visible very close up. Its almost like my lips are chapped. I used 1% hydrocortisone on my lips and that has made the bumps smaller but my tongue condition seems to be getting worse. What can it be? And who should I visit: doctor or dentist? Someone told me it could be an infection trying to get out of my body. Could that be true? Could it be a vitamin deficiency? What can it be related to? I'm an otherwise healthy 25 year old that eats right and exercises. Thanks for your help!!!
Member Comments (252)
by affo24, May 11, 2007
I have a similar problem.  I have a white coated tongue and it burns and feels almost like sandpaper.  My lips too are dry and cracked constantly.  My mouth is very dry.  I have good and bad news.  The good is that it could be only a yeast infection in your mouth called thrush.  The bad news is that ive been treated for thrush 3 or 4 times in my 4 year quest to get rid of this.  Your symptoms sound like thrush as does mine.  My symptoms have alleviated in the past year or two but it is still slightly there.  I smoke so it could be trapping the yeast infection there.  I dont know.  You should also look into Burning Mouth Syndrome.  Good luck
by wwf, Oct 31, 2007
I also have burning mouth syndrome. I have GERD and also went thro 2 biopsies for my tongue last year. Ist result on right side was mucosal neuroma, two months later, on the left was foliate pappitis.  2nd, 3rd, and 4th diagnosis on the right side turns out to be not mucosal neuroma but also unspecific inflammation consistent to inflamed pappilitis. Now I dont know what I actually have cos a gov hospital lost some of the specimens I sent for 2nd diagnosis but assured that the result was inflammation. But now I have burning sensation on my palate, gums and sides of my tongue, they call it burning mouth syndrome. Went thro diabetic, autoimmune, tests all negative.  Maxilofacial oral surgeon ask me to take amitripline 25mg once a night. Have tried to take for 2 weeks.  Seems to improve, also applying Biotene oral gel and rinse. Now have an ulcer on my gums, am very anxious cos have anxiety problems.Docs are not caring, everytime says nothing with my mouth but anxiety and depression may be the cause. Very scare of tongue cancer and other cancers. How to overcome this problem of anxiousness and panic attack? If you come across any solution to burning mouth pls reply.
by raindelay, Oct 31, 2007
Man am I glad to see other people with tongue problems.  I have had pain on the side of my tongue for nearly 1.5 years - both on the left side and the right side.  I have talked to two general MD's, one ENT, and two dentists about it and nobody can seem to give me a clue as to what's wrong.

The left side of my tongue always seems sensitive.  It seems to be foliate pappitis to me but what do I know.  I do know that I have cut wayyyy back on sugar (about 90%) and things have improved.  I've never eaten too much sugar anyways but do see an improvement if I reduce refined sugars.

In any event, you folks are in good company.  I just wish there was something I could do.  I also have GERD but basically it's not too bad.  

by stvnmoore, Nov 14, 2007
i have the same problem, Tongue seems always to be burning. Extreme sensitivity to salsa, hot sauce, spicy food which ive stopped eating, Lately im noticing sensitivity to citrus and even ketchup. no other problems with my mouth or gums, My tongue can get very dry and only water soothes it. I do have high blood sugar and Ive seens my Dr and Dentist but so far no good diagnosis
by spur-star33, Nov 15, 2007
i would look more towards seeing if it is geographic tongue i was told by a pathologist that with these symptoms and after i had shown pictures of time of high activity on the tongue that this what i have.  I am 26 and this is the first time i have had the symptoms. There is no cure nor is it harmful just annoying as hell.  If you feel that these symptoms consist of GT and you want proper diagnosis see an oral surgeon they can give you the best diagnosis.  Sites to look at are

http://www.dentalfind.com/glossary/geographic_tongue.html
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/geographic-tongue/DS00819/DSECTION=2

by mamakris, Dec 17, 2007
I found this site because I'm so sick of not being able to eat anything spicy.  Even ketchup has started "burning" my tongue.  I used to have very frequent heartburn but started taking Prilosec OTC and don't have that anymore.  I'm wondering if it's causing my tongue problems though.  I never had this problem before Prilosec.  Seems to me it's either heartburn or tongueburn.  Even some raw veggies aggravated my tongue last night though.  It's so frustrating!!!  I have the same problem with thirst stvnmoore was talking about.  I have started eating more ice because it feels so good on my tongue.  I just wish someone could tell me what's going on.
by Kiki436, Mar 07, 2008
I have the same problems eating anything spicy or with too much garlic - my tongue goes on fire! I think it is because I eat too much ice! I feel like I have burned my tongue and because I am addicted to chewing ice - my only vise - that is the only thing I can figure out. When I don't eat spicy foods, I'm okay. Go figure. Anyone else chew on ice?
by scottmaBlank, Mar 07, 2008
Dear All:
      Burning mouth (tongue) syndrome is an umbrella diagnosis. Many local or systemic conditions can have this presentation. Local pathologic entities must be ruled out, such as candida albicans , geographic tongue. Systemic entities such as blood dyscrasia, nutritional deficiency, food intolerance or allergy must be ruled out, too. If there is no underlying pathology identified, it's probably a malfunction of central nervous system. Antidepressants(off-label use), gabapentin, pregablin, may help alleviate paresthesis or dysesthesia of mucosal symptoms. Seeing an oral pathologist or neurologist is advised.
by babe25, Mar 27, 2008
When people say a sensitive tongue do you mean like a constant nervy feeling, the tip of my tongue (along with all the other stuff like thrush) is like nervy all the time just a constant nerve nagging away 24/7, does anyome else have this problem?