Dental Health Community
Can a gum infection make you feel ill?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Can a gum infection make you feel ill?

I have a tooth that has a temp crown that needs to be replacemd.  I haven't yet because of $$$.  I have a gum infection now.  Also, this week I have felt very under the weather.  Extremely tired, loss of appetite,  sometimes a little naustious, and aches mucsles.  Could this be due to my gum infection?
Just how infected is your gum?  I don't believe that a minor gingivitis can cause your symptoms.
You may have an abcess (abscess), in which case, you will need antibiotics. The mouth is very vascular and infections can enter the bloodstream easily from that location. See your dentist for at least a confirmation of the infection and to get a prescription. In the meantime, rinse with warm salt water and Listerine mixed with a bit of water, several time a days. Good Luck.
I just recently had a dental abcess (abscess) with those symptoms and you really need to get on some antibiotics to get rid of the infection.  A dentist wont work on your mouth until the infection is gone.  That is something that won't go away on it's own.  Your mouth is close to your brain and if infection spreads it could be very dangerous.  I read an article once, that a child told his parents that he had a toothache and a couple of days later before they could get him to a dentist, he died.  Depending on what state you live in, you can go to local churches where dentists come in and treat people whom don't have the money to fix their teeth.  Also, there is a dental office called "Western Dental" and I am pretty sure it is a chain throughout the united states that you can go to.  "Western Dental" will take you without checking your credit and as little as 10% down of the diagnosed work that needs to be performed.  I got a crown from there myself and the dentist did a beautiful job, you can't even tell I have a crown.  There are a lot of options out there that people don't know about.  The longer you wait to fix dental work, the worse and more costly it gets.  Trust me, I know from experience.