Dental Health Community
Can you get flu-like symtoms(symptoms) from tooth infection?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

I've had a root canal and an extraction/implant done many years ago.  Recently, my tooth pain came back to bother me and it's sensitive to hot/cold water.  Yesterday, all of a sudden, I came down with flu-like symptoms - fever (101+), shivering chills, severe body aches and headache, loss of appetite.  I don't have other cold symptoms like nasal congestion, runny nose, cough, etc.  My fever broke earlier today. But I'm still feeling very weak and sweaty with horrible headaches and constant tooth/jaw pain.  Is it possible to get a fever/headache from a tooth infection?  Or is the fever just an isolated viral infection?  Do I need to be checked by my doctor or dentist?
Could possibly be a abscessed tooth. Not sure about the other symptoms but, constant headaches could be due to the pain itself and constant throbbing pain in the jaw is usually exposed nerve or a abcess (abscess).

First i would speak to your dentist to see how bad the infection is, i know here in NY they can write anti-biotic scripts for such things. If you see a doctor about tooth pain for a infection all they will give you is anti-biotics nothing more sadly. At least with the dentist he may give u a script for painkillers as well.

For the other symptoms it could be possible blood sepsis which is quite fatal.

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/sepsis_blood_infection/page4_em.htm#sepsis_symptoms_and_signs

Either way if you don't, a abcess (abscess) is no joke and its not about the pain so much its what it can lead into if not treated promptly.

Hope it helps.

Hope it helps.
It is good if you go to a Doctor and get some painkillers and medicine. the dr would tell you whether a Dentist need to check you up..
Get well soon :) annie
I would strongly advise you to see a dentist, if tooth is indeed bothering you.
Abscess if it develops further may indeed cause fever. The rule of thumb for hot and cold: hot = abscess, cold = recession/sensitive tooth.
Thanks for your replies.  I got an urgent dentist appointment early morning tomorrow.  Hope it's not too bad.
I just came back from my dentist's office and got a vicodin/antibiotics prescription as well as an urgent root canal appointment with a orthodontist tomorrow morning.  

It's funny that he tested me with an electronic probe and concluded that my nerves are hypersensitive.  After he numbed me and cleared the infected part, he was amazed to see how much structural damage there is.  He said, "You have a very high pain threshold.  Most people in my situation would be screaming and moaning and not standing and talking." That reminds me when I was in labor, I was in very intense contraction accompanied by a fever.  Could it be that the headaches, the sweats/chills, the fevers are all body's reaction to the intensity of the toothache?

Anyway, I'm glad that this is taken care of.  I still have many hard decisions to make, e.g. with not enough structure left, should I extract/implant or crown? If I crown, should I do crown strengthening first or crown and monitor bone reaction?  This is regarding the adjacent tooth to the molar tooth that needs the RCT.  Still not feel well and can't think straight.  Would love to hear your thoughts and recommendations.

Also, is it too unrealistic for me to attend a meeting at work 11am back to back right after the RCT?  Do people usually take the day off after RCT?  I'm not sure how back it could be.