Dental Health Expert Forum
Canker sore

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Canker sore

Hello, I had a canker sore develop on the upper gum line about two days ago. It is right at the base of my gums where the inside if my lip meets, and there is actually a few of them right there on the gum and inside lip.  I'm no stranger to canker sores but this one is actually causing my upper lip and the bottom of my nose to swell and the entire area is extremely painful. Everything I've read has said that canker sores would not cause that to happen but I've had it before where the canker sore has been in the same spot and caused the same reaction. This time, though, I'm also developing a sore throat. Can you think of any other reason for these symptoms? I eat very healthy and drink plenty of water. Also besides OTC pain killers and gargling salt water are there any other home remedies? Thanks!
When was your last dental visit?

It may not be a canker sore but a cold sore instead.  You may want to see either your dentist or your primary care physician.  Are you also getting a fever or nausea?  

No there's no fever or nausea. Can cold sores develop inside the mouth?
Yes it can.  

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000606.htm

Here's the link of a short description of herpes labialis from the National Institute of Health.  

Does it sort of describe what you have?
Oh that is too painful i have heard. Did you visit the doctor? What he suggest?