Dental Health Expert Forum
Cant move my head to the left

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Cant move my head to the left

Hi my problem is that I had a tooth that needed extracting,I had a little bit of gum disease that my periodontis  dentist fixed after 7 visits,3 of those visits were for for a quick chat and to sort out a plan of attack.I have no cavities and get my gums cleaned twice a year,I also visit my dentist once a year.The problem I have is that I can not turn my head to the left properly,I have pain up to the back of my neck on the left side, to under the skull, the back of my throat  on the left side is swollen.When my tooth was playing up,which is the top back left molar,my throat was swollen on the left side,down to my  lower throat.The socket took a year to heal and stop leaking,I was on penicillin for a week the decay had got into my jaw ,and I lost a little bit of my jaw around the top of my back molar.Last month I had a filling replaced and my dentist injected some pain relief into my jaw it really hurt for days where the needle hit the nerve.I,m not a wimp,and don't take sick days etc.I had medical check up 8 months ago and every thing was good.Do you think I need to go to my periodontics dentist and tell her my problem,my dentist cant see much wrong.I cant sleep on my left,because my whole left side throbs. There is something not right.I didnt tell my  doctor about my neck as I thought it would heal and go away.Whats your thoughts on my condition.
            Yours Sincerely Terrence
             SCARED AND SORE.    
How long as this pain been going on the left side?  Has it been going on for a year now?

I would recommend following up with your periodontist possibly.  But I'm not sure why your dentist would feel that nothing is wrong if you are experiencing pain and the inability to turn your head.  Those are real symptoms that need to be addressed.  It may not be a dental cause but they should at least recommend you see your primary care physician or another specialist of some sort.
Yes bob you should go to your dentist but also go for xray of your jaw. You shouldnt take it easy.