Dental Health Expert Forum
Cement a crown - do it yourself?

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Cement a crown - do it yourself?

Is it possible to recement a crown myself?  I just can't see having to pay $85 to glue a tooth back in!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I would not do it yourself for a number of reasons. You may think you are saving $85 in the short term but may be doing damage that will cost you alot more in the long term. Do yourself a favor and don't play dentist. Let the professionals do their job.
bad move recementing it on your own
1. dental cements are not "glue". Glue is toxic.
2. Crowns come off for a reason. It is likely there is something wrong with the tooth underneath.
Don't do it.  Keep in mind that the dentist makes sure the surface of the prepped tooth is clean, dry and sterile before refixing the crown on it.  You could be setting yourself up for severe decay and infection under you crown.

Why are you being charged to reset it?  I've had a couple pop off before and my dentist never charged me to reset it.  He considered that part of the cost I originally paid for what was supposed to be a permanently cemented crown.
A related discussion, getting adhesive was started.
A related discussion, glueing on a crown was started.
A related discussion, Dentists are entrepreneurial exploiters was started.