Dental Health Expert Forum
Cheap Alternatives for Closing a Gap

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Cheap Alternatives for Closing a Gap

I am 21 years old and wore braces for 3 years when I was about 13-16. I wore my retainer religiously and lost it at some point. But I quickly went back to the orthodontist the next week to have another one made. The second retainer never fit the same, and now my gap is reappearing. My dentist told me that the orthodontist screwed up and that now I am a perfect candidate for Invisalign. Too bad I cannot nearly afford it! My gap is very small and not very noticeable, though it is noticeable to me.

Are there any cheap alternatives to closing it? I've heard about Orthofill bands, but I'm scared that they will mess up my teeth. Any advice is much appreciated!
You can go back to your orthodontist and see if they can put in an active retainer to move the teeth back while you sleep at night instead of starting an invisalign case
You can have the space closed with composite which is a tooth colored restoration.
Thank you so much! I had never heard of active retainers before, and I think this may be the solution for me!