Dental Health Community
Cheek/Gum Swelling

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Cheek/Gum Swelling

Recently i had a pain in tooth and went to the dentist and said that i had to remove a dead tooth but first i had to clear the infection. So he put me on Amoxicillin and after the second day on this medication i woke up to swelling of my cheek and gum. I read about the medication and it said that i might have a possible alergic (allergic) reaction to it if it causes swelling. So i call my dentist and her puts me on Cephalexin, im guessing because i had an alergic (allergic) reaction to penicillin. another two days goes by (today) and the swelling is more or less the same and white pus with a little blood is starting to appear coming out of the tooth. There isnt any pain since the first perscription of Antibiotics but the swelling to my gums and cheek doesnt seem to be going down. I have an apointment with my dentist in another 6 days to remove the tooth but i was wondering if this is normal...and what can i do to reduce the swelling...and is the antibiotics doing the job? and is there any thing else i can do to speed up the removal of the infection so i can guarantee that the dentist will remove the tooth in 6 days? thank you in advanced
i was applying a heating pad earlier to see if that would help the infection only for about 10 mins. and about 1-2 hours later i felt a liquid in my mouth and it tasted pretty bad... so i go to spit it out and it looked like it was all blood but didnt taste anything like it. i then poked my swollen gums and more started coming out which had the same taste. is this a sign of the infection leaving the area?