Dental Health Community
Cheek bite?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Cheek bite?

I think I have bitten my cheek, but I'm not sure. I woke up two days ago with a slightly sore spot on my lower back cheek where it felt like the skin could have gotten pressed between my teeth at night. it wasn't too bad so I tried opening my mouth wide throughout the day to stretch it out and make it feel better. That night I woke up from the pain in my cheek. my face wasn't swollen, my teeth didn't hurt, and my gums around my teeth weren't swollen or hurting but the gum behind my wisdom tooth that is almost fully grown out was a little lumpy and when I massaged it started to bleed a little. I rinsed my mouth with warm water and a mouth wash with aloe and witch hazel and expected it to get better the next day.
The same thing happened last night where I woke up from the pain. I took asprin and was able to sleep. it seems that eating makes things worse so I try to eat soft foods and not chew on that side. today I put gauze back there so I wouldn't irritate (but the skin isn't really in the way on a daily basis though) and I noticed when I pressed down on the gauze I expected a little blood and it was a little pink but I noticed there was a little bit of yellowish stuff that I thought could be pus. when I look inside my mouth the skin looks pretty normal, but the very bottom lower cheek where it slightly touches my wisdom tooth is a little red. It doesn't look as bad as it feels, but I'm confused if I may have bit my cheek while sleeping or is this normal for a wisdom tooth that may still be pushing through the gum line? It also hurts to swallow and there is an ache spreading in the skin around the area but no swelling or obvious discoloration. my teeth still don't hurt and neither do my gums around the teeth.
Look up pericorinitis and see if your symptoms fit.  If it is this the ultimate treatment would be to extract the wisdom tooth (possibly upper first to stop you biting on the lower one).  In the UK, their are NICE guidelines that are followed in these circumstances stating a wisdom tooth should only be removed if causing multiple infections