Dental Health Community
Cheek swollen above the tooth with cavity

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

I have a tooth and it has a cavity on it. Since yesterday, my cheek is swollen and it is just above the teeth which has cavity and I have difficulty chewing food with that tooth. Is this the symptom of tooth abscess ? I cannot fully open my mouth due to this. Please give me suggestions on what I can do about this. Thank you so much.

Jdbaba
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there,
You seem to be suffering from cellulitis.In case of decayed tooth once the bacteria get out of the tooth; they may eat away the bone supporting both that tooth and any adjacent teeth. Eventually this can cause the loss of one or more teeth, but it may also cause swelling into the surrounding structures or spaces. Your infection seems to have spread. You should see a dentist and get checked. You will need anti-inflammatory medications and antibiotics. After the acute pain has subsided you will need treatment of the cavity. Do keep me posted.
Best wishes and regards!