Dental Health Expert Forum
Chronic Aching pain after eating meat, tooth or gum related?

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Hope someone can advise me....female 44, four upper crowns (no crowned molars) one upper bisuspic bridge.  

Floss regularly and use Listerene.

For the last few months I have noticed my teeth ache terribly after I have eaten any kind of meat that requires chewing; chicken not so bad, but tougher meats are a nightmare.

This sounds daft, but it feels like my teeth have been 'pounded' deeply in my jaw by the chewing and I want to try to pull them 'up' again.

I feel like I need to go floss to relieve the ache, but although I do remove some debris, the ache can stay for up to three hours and it is a really sore, neuralgia type ache, not specific to any area but radiating through the upper and lover jaw.  I don't get this specific pain at any other time other than after chewing.

I am due my dental check up in a month or so, and will enquire...but is there any thing I can be doing meantime to relieve it?  I love my food, especially steak, and this is beginning t0 affect my quality of life! :)

Many thanks
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I do not think there is anything you can do about this discomfort until you find the reason for it. There are a number of possibilities but until you know what it is you can not treat it. i would suggest that you make an emergency visit to your dentist.
Should add, all my molars have amalgam fillings which have been there for quite some time, but last check up did not reveal any leaking or need for replacement, thanks.

this sounds either like a food impaction problem around the bridge, or a periodontal problem (gums) or less likely (since you only have pain w/ eating) an endodontic problem. What you need is a thorough exam, with xrays, and periodontal charting to determine the health of the soft tissue and bone around the teeth. there's no way to diagnose this problem over the internet. You need to be SEEN.
Thanks.
Lesley998 - I've been experiencing some of the same sensations after my root canal and permanent crown was placed on a lower left back tooth in Dec. '06... When I chew on it my gums feel pressure afterwards, like the crown is digging into the gums... I went to the dentist and he did xrays, percussion tests, cold air, and cold gel to check the nerves... He checked the crown around the gum line... Everything checked out OK... I just don't know why I feel this pressure and slight ache... Its not like a regular toothache... Please post again when you see your dentist... Thanks!
A related discussion, Lesley was started.
A related discussion, Tooth pain with eating meat,what could it be? was started.