Dental Health Expert Forum
Chronic gum inflammation around erupting #29 tooth; root canal necessar...
About This Forum:

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Chronic gum inflammation around erupting #29 tooth; root canal necessary?

My daughter was seen for a toothache on her #29 tooth. There was no apparent reason for the pain, there was no evident decay, and the tooth is still erupting. Dentist performed x-ray, sensitivity testing, and prescribed antibiotics. Pain abated and my daughter seemed fine. However when she was seen at her follow-up, a subsequent x-ray showed that the area of inflammation seemed to have grown. Dentist referred us to an endodontist.

Endodontist examined, x-rayed and performed sensitivity testing and pronounced that my daughter was fine. Dentist disagrees and recommends immediate treatment, says nerve is dying.

Who do I listen to? My daughter has had no further pain, but the inflammation seems to come and go (only noticable if direct pressure is applied to the gum). Tooth is still sensitive when Ice is applied, and I am sure to compare the level of sensitivity with other teeth. She says it is the same.

I'd hate to have anything invasive done to my daughter when she is so young, but I would also like to avoid her losing a tooth. If the nerve in her tooth is dying, are there any more obvious signs? How long should I wait before there is a danger of needing an extraction?