Dental Health Community
Composite fillings = root canals?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Composite fillings = root canals?

I've posted about this sort of thing before, but the situation has changed slightly. I had five new composite fillings put in a few months ago and 4 of them resulted in root canals, one of them a pretty messy infection. Since then, I've switched dentists and been tested to make sure I'm not allergic to the resin used in the filling (which I'm not--it's a rare allergy). This new dentist is more experienced and said he doubts I'll have the same reaction with the other 7 I need to get done. I was wondering, is my reaction more likely based on a sensitivity that is unique to me, or on the way my former (and less experienced) dentist set the composite? I've heard that they can be fussy and harder to set, and that if they aren't set quite right they can cause more irritation to the pulp of the tooth.

Honestly, I'm concerned I'll need 6 more root canals, but my endo. said that each tooth is different and that I shouldn't assume they'll all act the same. I'm just having trouble trusting that this won't happen all over again. Any advice or insights would be most welcome. Thank you!
Personally I think it depends on the situation of each particular tooth.  The size of the cavity affects how much we need to remove.  Once the cavity is gone, we refill it with a composite/white filling.  The deeper the cavity, the more likely it may result in problems with sensitivity or pain.

Whats the reason why you need so many fillings?  
Thanks for your response. The reason I need/needed so many fillings has multiple facets is mostly because my college didn't treat their water with fluoride and I was there for four years. Others could be that I used Tom's toothpaste for a long time, and also genetics--my dad has always had soft enamel and gets cavities regardless of the good care he takes. And my first five fillings were apparently small to medium. These next couple were smaller, which is why we waited on them. There are some that are medium and some that are smaller.