Dental Health Expert Forum
Condensing Osteitis

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Condensing Osteitis

I recently changed dentists and am happy with that change. I have 3 root canal treated teeth (done back in the 90's) that I'm finally getting crowns on. Many of my mercury fillings have been replaced by this new dentist and I'm happy with the progress so far.

The only thing that concerned me was an area they saw on the panoramic xray. It was a small whitish area in the lower right jawline. She said they don't see things like this much, but two other dentists concurred with her thoughts that it was most likely "condensing osteitis". She asked if I had any pain or problems and I said, "no". Initially, she told me that it could be the CI, or a tumor was a small possibility.

Of course, when you hear tumor, it strikes a bit of panic, but they are telling me they think it's the CI. Should I be worried? They just plan to moniter it thru yearly panoramic xrays.
TIA,
Kelly
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Kelly,
     It is good that they picked up on the area in the x-ray.  You should not be worried.  It is OK to follow it with yearly panoramics to watch for any changes.  You could always get an oral surgeon's opinion to verify.  Usually nothing to worry about.