Dental Health Expert Forum
Constant Dull Toothache

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Constant Dull Toothache

For the last few months i have been having a mild dull ache on my upper tooth.  Occassionally, i can taste a foul metallic taste around the area of the dull aching tooth. I suspected that my tooth was fractured or that i had pulpitis. Therefore I went to a very well respected endodontist and he told me that there was nothing wrong with the dull aching tooth (the tooth had no symptoms of a crack/fracture, no decay, no cavity).  He told me to wait a while. Since then the mild dull ache has remained.  Yesterday i ate some nuts and intensity of the dull ache increased.  Today the intensity of the dull ache seems to be decreasing.  I am so confused why i am having these symptoms on this tooth, even though 2 endodontists have told me that the tooth looks healthy and functional.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
It is possible that there is a  microscopic fracture that can not be detected. If the tooth is senitive to biting it might be necessary to place a temporary crown on it to see how it responds.