Dental Health Expert Forum
Constant Soreness/Pain after Composite Filling

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Hello!

I'll just start right into it. It had been about 4-5 years since I went to the dentist...I finally go, get a teeth cleaning and find out I need some fillings done!

A little less than 2 weeks ago I went in and had 2 composite fillings put in on my molars (the back 2 on my right side...I have had my wisdom teeth out). And then my dentist wanted to replace a filing on the top part of my mouth on the right side (the tooth right above one of the molars that was being filled on the bottom) because he didn't like the discoloration of the tooth and how you could see the filling when looking at the tooth.

I said ok to the replacement filling and allowed him to continue on with the other 2 fillings.

A few days after, my bite felt strange and was experiencing constant soreness/pain...I went back in and had the dentist adjust my bite, it felt a bit better to bite down and I was hoping it would fix the pain. It didn't, so I went back about 4 days later to see if there was anything else that could be the problem.

Had some extras taken, he tapped on the teeth, did some examinations and couldn't figure out why I was still in pain. He gave me some antibiotics, maybe it was an infection.

Well It's been about 5 days on the antibiotics and nothing has changed, i am still in the same amount of constant pain. Ibuprofen helps with the pain and gets me to sleep...i take 2 a day at night and it usually works around 20 hours and then the pain comes back.

To describe the pain, I would say that it feels like the same amount of pain I used to get when I would go in to the orthodontist to get my braces tightened. It doesn't hurt to chew on them, there is NO sharp pain or sensitivity that is that extreme. It's just a constant soreness...I have since realized that to main focus of the pain is coming from the top tooth.

I plan on trying to see my dentist on monday, but it's saturday and I just want some answers that might help me ease my mind!

Thanks in advance
Oh, I should add that the fillings that were done, were not that deep
And also...i do have minor pain on the bottom molar as well...the two newly filled teeth do make contact. I have no pain from the last molar on my right side.

Sometimes there is soreness in my cheeck, ear and Temple...as well as warmth in those areas
And another addition...
I had Zero pain before the fillings were put in/replaced. This is the first time I've had composite fillings put in. All the orher ones have been the silver ones. I am actually not the biggest fan of how the fillings smoothed out and changed the shape of the tooth. It just feels like I have something stuck on the tooth