Dental Health Expert Forum
Continued numbness in mouth after dental injection

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

I had a root canal on tooth #30 one week ago.  I am still experiencing numbness on the right half of my tongue and the tongue side of my gum tissue.  I called my dentist and he gave me decadron to take for seven days.  I'm not sure if I want to take it or wait it out and see if it clears on its own.  What is your recommendation?  Thank you.
I would suggest you wait awhile for the feeling to return. It may take some time but I believe it will improve gradually and that you will get the entire feeling back.
2 weeks ago I had 8 teeth prepared for veneers under general anaesthesia for 4 hours. Several days ago I noticed a feeling of facial numbness including neck and ears similar to coming out of a typical local dental injection. It's very uncomfortable. Is it from the dental procedure - and is there something my dentist can do about it.