Dental Health Expert Forum
Continuous Jaw Pain after Crowns and Bridge work

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

I have just completed a lot of dental work. Most of my molars have been crowned or replaced with bridges in the last 3 months.  5 Crowns and two bridges in the upper left and righ and lower left and right area of my mouth.  We began this work at the end on December 2005 and finished March 22 2006.  Through out the two to three week waiting periods between temporaries and permanent pieces I have had continuous jaw pain.  My dentist thought perhaps I might be alergic (allergic) to temporary cememt.  Permanent crowns and bridges are now in place and it has been three weeks since any real work was done aside from just cementing the last bridge into place - I am still having major jaw pain.  Enough to take up to 6 Advil a day.  The pain is all along the jaw up to my temples and down my neck.  It is not in one place or throbbing like a tooth that needs RCT, but rather almost my whole face and jaw.  I realize I have had a lot of work done.  We are taking a wait and see approach.  I have had many RCT's in the past and lots of general work - but nothing like this.  I was not in any pain before we began the restorative work.  I have no other symptoms but lots of dull constant jaw pain that radiates around my face and neck.  Do you think this  could be infection? Any ideas?  Thank you.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
It is hard to tell if this is a RCT problem. Usually the pain will isolate itself in one area if the nerve is inflamed, or non vital,meaning it is dead. It sounds more like the bite or the amount of work you have had is causing some type of muscular spasm in the jaw area. Are the crowns and bridges permanently cemented? I would consider checking the bite.
I have exactly the same. Since I have had my bridge fitted all my teeth on one side of my bottom jaw aches. My dentist has recommended a mouthwash eludril and painkillers. Also told tobe patient but some days it really gets me down. It seems the work has disturbed all the other teeth which neve hurt before. It's driving me nuts.
OMG...This sure sounds like me 8 years ago.   My jaw was traumatized with all my work.  I had to see a good DDS who specializes in bites and had to have an appliance made.  I am soo sorry you are going thru this.  It does ge tbetter but first you need a good diagnostician to do what is right for you.

Good Luck.
I am having severe, continuous pain in my bottom right jaw. 3 weeks ago I had 2 crown preps and a bridge. That's when the pain began and it hasn't quit yet. I've been back to my dentist many times and he insists each time that he has corrected the problem but the pain doesn't go away. He thought my bite was "too heavy" on that side. Now that I have the permanent crowns and bridge work he says that he has corrected the bite problem but I still have the pain. I'm taking 800 mg Ibuprofen every 6 hours around the clock. As soon as the stuff wears off my jaw begins throbbing. I'm desperate! Any ideas anyone?
Everyone please!!  Visit www.icnr.com.  Find an LVI trained neuromuscular dentist.  Your restorations were made by run of the mill dentists who are not well trained.  The same thing happened to me.  You are not infected.  You do not have viruses.  You have a muscular imbalance that is a direct result of bad restorations.  Perhaps they have been built too high.  Maybe too low.  Research on the internet.  Follow the neuromuscular links.  Bye for now.
Oh my God, i am so happy to find this sight.  i am desperate.  I too had major dental work done and I am in excrutiating pain.  Pain meds don't work.  The dentist can't find anything wrong.  Today I'm going to see my GP.  I'll show this forum to him.  I have never had pain like this before.  Has anyone found relief after the diagnosis?
A related discussion, Upper right jaw bone pain after bridge/crown prep was started.