Dental Health Expert Forum
Crack in molar

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Crack in molar

I have a crack in one of my molars that my dentist told me about.  He performed a bite and tapping test on it.  I felt no pain during those tests.  It doesn't hurt when I chew and doesn't cause me any pain.  Will I still need a root canal?  
Avatar_dr_m_tn
From what you are saying I do not understand why the tooth needs root canal therapy.If you can give me more information I can better understand the problem and try to give you some advice.
unless there are  radiographic signs of infection (abcess (abscess)) , carious (decay) or other exposure into the nerve, or other signs of nerve involvement, or if the tooth is fractured severely (you probably would have felt pain during his "tests") you may only need a crown or some other restoration that covers and protects the tooth. Impossible to say without seeing the tooth and the films, but if you are told you need a root canal and you have no symptoms at all, it cant hurt to get another opinion.
Thank you for the advice.  There is an old filling on the tooth that probably had something to do with if cracking.  
old silver fillings acually distort and warp inside teeth, causing fractures. usually the fractures are not that bad, and usually only crowns or onlays are needed. My personal opinion is that gold is the best way to restore teeth. i have 4 gold resorations myself. they require less drilling, they cannot fracture, and they can be cemented with cements that do not irritate the nerve. they also do not have a hard glassy feel like all cermic restorations do. However, they are more difficult to do--they require good hands, so be choosy in selecting your dentist. best of luck.
I was just wondering if It would need root canal therapy.  I am not sure when the crack occured.  That tooth is sensitive to cold liquids, the sensitivity lasts for about 3 secs.  But other than that, I dont feel any pain.  
i answered that question with my first response.