Dental Health Community
Cracked tooth and infection after root canal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

I had a root canal and crown in November 2007 and just recently experienced a sharp pain on the same tooth after biting into some chocolate.  I went to the dentist and was given a prescription for penicillin and hydrocodone.  Now my face is completely swollen.  Is this normal?  Why would I experience pain if the nerve was removed/cut during the root canal?
The swelling may be caused by dental infection which may or may not be caused by root canaled tooth. In addition, root canaled tooth is not always guaranteed to be free of infection. If the culptit of infection is root canaled tooth, the cause is generally incomplete canal debridement and obturation. Seeing an endodontist is advised..