Dental Health Community
Crown Odor

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Crown Odor

A crown fell out a week ago.  It never felt right to begin with but the dentist told me to wait a few weeks - maybe it would correct itself.  Well it fell out.  Anyway, there is a terrible odor in this crown - no matter what I do it's still there.  It's very embarassing but something I have to deal with.  Any ideas?

This discussion is related to Bad smell near crown.
go back to your dentist. the tooth either wasnt sealed properly or its lost its seal. you didnt mention how long you have had this crown. the smell is from the bacteria that got inside. you need to have it cleaned up and a new crown placed.
go back to the dentist, insist there's a problem you want fixed.. i suffered with an extremely foul odor and occasionally tender gums around acrown for 2 years. dentist now says i'm allergic to the nickel in the crown. most dentists use a cheapo metal that contains nickel beneath the porcelain crowns. you can develop a metal allergy over time. also an ill fitting cap or 'pocket' where bacteria can grow and collect should be looked into. supposedly, i was told the smell was comming from a rush of red blood cells and tissue reacting to the nickel in the crown. good luck
More than likely your crown was not cemented correctly and you have bacteria growing inside of it.  This happened to me when I had my crowns put on.  They used temporary cement to see if I liked them before we made the fianl decision.  Well the cement wore off and I had this terrible taste and smell in my mouth.  No matter how many mints or mouthwash I sued I could not get rid of it.  When I went to my dentist, he said that the cement had worn off and I needed to get them permanantely cemented or else.

So be careful, as this can lead to tooth decay.  I am hoping that it has not damaged my teeth.

an xray showed no decay, and crown was perm cemented. since the crown has to come off anyway, i'm hoping this will fix any possible cause of the smell

apparently a perm crown can be removed without damaging/breaking the underlying tooth if it is cut off carefully. i'm keeping my fingers crossed
I've had the foul odor coming from crown area awhile now. It didnt matter how many times i gargled it never went away.I finally went to dentist. I have an abscess that developed at the root underneath the crown. My options another root canal, pull tooth, c how infection clears depending how severe or a little bit more drilling if tooth is decayed. I hope this puts your thoughts at ease. My apt is today. I'll let know how it turned out.
You have to meet your dentist again and tell your problem.Only your dermatologist give you the best suggestion.