Dental Health Expert Forum
Crown Pain

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Crown Pain

A few days ago I went back to my dentist because of the pulsating pain around the crowned tooth. I did have a root canal on the lower bottom tooth. The dentist did a series of diagnostic tests. The xray on the crowned tooth looked totally normal. No cracks, dark spots or anything. He tapped the crowned tooth and each tooth on either side of the crowned tooth. No pain for me there. He applied cool air around the area. No discomfort. He applied that cool gel to the crowned tooth and to the teeth in the front and back of the crowned tooth to check the nerves. I felt no pain. Of course the crowned tooth felt no sensation because of the root canal that was done on it. He poked around the ridges and gumline and no breaks or leaks were evident. The dentist said this was a real enigma. The first month the crown was on it felt perfect. I get a quick pulsating pain, and itchy feeling around the crown. It feels like its on the inside of the crown. Near the gums. It feels like the crown just isn't a perfect fit. If I chew on the left side, my gums feel a burning sensation. Like the crown is digging into the gums. Could I be allergic to this crown? Resin? Could there be too much cement under the crown pushing on my gums? Sometimes the crown feels to tight so I open and close my mouth wide to stretch my jaw. My jaw bone sometimes aches around that area too. Any idea on what the problem could be? Help!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Firstly, if you were allergic to crown material the tissue in the area would be inflammed and the dentist would see that. If he has made no mention of that then it doesn't sound like an allergic reaction. If the bite is correct then the cementation is not the cause.If the gum is bleeding around the crown then you would have to consider the contour or fit of the crown maybe the problem. At this point I can not give you a definitive diagnosis.The good news is the teeth are not sensitive to percussion which tends to indicate that there is a problem with the root canal or any of the adjacent teeth.
Also could there be a gum tear or infection under the crown?
Thanks!
you should get an opinion from someone other than the person who made it. get a referral to another dentist from a family member or friend, not your current dentist. this should not be a great mystery. indeed it sounds to me like the crown may be impinging on the gum tissue becasue the margins are too deep under the gums, or the contour of the crown by the gum tissue is bad.
Thanks for your input. I just feel like my gums are being pressed down upon around the gum line and it feels like my gums are being cut into. Jagged.