Dental Health Community
Crown doesn't meet gumline

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Crown doesn't meet gumline

I recently had my permanent crown placed on a back molar.  It did not meet the gumline on the front side of the tooth, leaving at least a millimeter or more of tooth exposed above the gumline.  This has caused severe pain and sensitivity to hot and cold.  When I went back to my dentist to have him check it out he said that nowadays they make the crown like that on purpose to prevent gum disease and that he could try and seal that area a little better to prevent the sensitivity, but did not think it would be a good idea to replace the crown.  I let him put on a desensitizer, which only felt like acid and completely chewed up my gumline and made it raw and even more painful.  I told him I think the crown just did not fit properly, that it should cover the entire tooth.  The back part of the crown covers the entire tooth and I have no sensitivity or pain there.  I think they just do not want to admit the crown is too small in the front exposing the root of the tooth and they do not want lose money having to replace the crown.  My dentist offered all other avenues of trying to seal up the gap like grafting gum tissue in that area, having a root canal to end sensitivity, sealing the area with a bonding resin, all things that would cost me more money and more pain.  Please tell me what you think.  Shouldn't the crown cover the entire tooth to the gumline?
As long as there is no marginal opening, supragingival margin of crown is perfectly fine. Most thermal sensitivity after crown delivery result from occlusal interference, if the tooth is vital. In addition to thermal sensitivity, occlusal interfernce of a new restoration can result in soreness of tooth and/or gum, jaw bone heaviness, muscle soreness, pain or discomfort upon chewing.
i have a margin on the back of my crown. my dentist even used a laser to reduce gum tissue to achieve this. i had minor discomfort which has been relieved by using a toothpaste for sensitive teeth. is this something that is recent? it may need to calm down or as scottma stated you might need your bite adjusted.