Dental Health Expert Forum
Crown moves when tapped by other teeth

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Crown moves when tapped by other teeth
Hello, I had a permanent crown placed in last week for the Front Upper Tooth.

Thing is, my bottom teeth tap into it when I bite closes and I can feel that new crown move ever so slightly with each tap. Mind you I only feel it nudge with my finger placed over it but of course knowing it moves a millimeter or more takes away all confidence.

So my question is this: What's the acceptable approach to remedying such a problem? Knowing my Dentist, I can easily imagine her wanting to just buff the underside of that crown so's to limit contact with the bottom teeth. But I personally don't see that as a solution, or is it?

I ask all this so's I may be better prepared upon my visit with her. I'd appreciate any knowledgeable suggestions. Thanks in advance. :-)
I would imagine that buffing it (or adjusting the bite) is the only way she'll be able to remedy it besides making a brand new one which I wouldn't recommend.  If its a minor adjustment, polishing down the height of the crown would be an acceptable remedy.
Thanks once again Jerome.

Mind you I guess I meant buffing the backside and not the underside of the crown. The back of the crown is where it meets with the bottom tooth.

But I'm still wondering. Is it common for the crown to move at all? Of course I'm merely talking a millimeter perhaps. 'and I only feel the movement if I place my finger over that crown whilst biting. Technically speaking, I 'Should' be able to bite into an Apple without worries, no? (not that I've tried yet, lol)

'and many thanks Jerome for being so helpful. :-)
Well, it shouldn't be moving too much at all.  Definitely not in a noticeable way.  Go get it checked out.  I hope its not cemented incompletely or that its so out of your bite that its putting alot of pressure and moving the tooth that much.  Your tooth should be fairly stable.  Try wiggling your other teeth and see if it moves as freely as the others