Dental Health Community
Crown pain after root canal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Crown pain after root canal

About 5 weeks ago, I had a root canal done on tooth 12 by an endodontist. Everything was fine during and after the procedure. 2 weeks later, I received my temporary crown, it was sore the first day, but I was able to eat normally afterwards, it just felt different, which is probably normal.
Now, 3 days ago,I received my porcelain crown. It has felt horrible ever since receiving it. I complained to my dentist on the day of receiving the crown, that it felt too big, but he said that was normal and should be ok after a day. Well, now my whole upper left side of my gums hurt and I keep getting headaches, and on top of that, the crown feels like it will fall out every time I try chewing on it or if I drink water, it feels like the water is going beneath the crown. It also keeps hitting the bottom tooth when saying specific words... What could this be? What should I do? My dentist said that he would only shorten up the bottom teeth and that the crown was a perfect fit...What if my dentist refuses to do anything about the crown in general? The temporary crown was perfect... Didn't hurt at all and felt like a real tooth...
Any suggestions?
Thank you! Alexa
Hi Alexa, I have a few crowns, some good some not so good.  When you say it feels big do you mean it feels too high?  I had that problem too and it was because the dds didn't push it down under the gum line right.  It seems when I chewed on it, it somehow hurt but didn't feel right either like there was space between it and the tooth under it.  I wound up getting a different impression and crown to fix it and the dds told me it was because it wasn't pushed down enough.  I had no idea back then I was a kid, 18!  Anyhow you should tell him it does not feel right.  Did you pay for it yet?
Hi Tina, thank you for your response. This is my first crown, so it's hard to say what exactly this feeling is. The crown just feels like the tip of it is too long, and it feels like it's just not put on my gums right, although when I feel around on it, it feels like every other tooth on the gum line and doesn't feel loose when I slightly press against it. The only times I notice it feeling so different is when I try to eat on that side and when I drink - that's when it "hurts" and feels like water is going underneath the tooth.. Or when I pronounce specific words because that tooth crashes on the bottom one, although my dentist shortened some of my bottom teeth so the crown would fit, which seems odd to me since my teeth were perfectly fine before the crown (none were too long or too high).
Yes, I already paid for the crown. They had me pay for the crown upfront, when I got my temporary crown...