Dental Health Expert Forum
Crown rejection??

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Crown rejection??

Hi I have had extensive work over the past eighteen months due to bad dentistry had to have seven root canals and all upper teeth crowned.  My gums are terribly sensitive and bleed constantly.  My question is that as well as the discomfort even on a 'good day' my mouth feels 'off'.  I literally feels like someone has stuck a piece of dinner plate in my mouth.  My tongue seems to recoil at the feel of the crowns.  I have had crowns previously on the lower back teeth with no problem.  I guess what I'm saying is do you know of any cases where a persons body actually rejects the new teeth?  Or simply cannot get used to them and do you have any suggestions as to what I can do to help myself get used to them.  I really am getting quite depressed with all this.  Many thanks.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I don't think that it should be that difficult to "get used to the new crowns". The two major possibilities are one that you might have a reaction to the metal under the porcelain(I assume they are porcelain to metal crowns) and two that the crowns are not contoured correctly and the gums are reacting unfavorably to that. Either way this is not right and should be investigated.
it is most likely not "rejection". you are probably having difficulty adapting to the new shapes in your mouth. If it feels "off" you should bring this to the attention of the dentist who placed them. oftentimes, adjustments are needed w regard to length and bulk and especially the bite. your gums should not bleed if you have good homecare and the crowns were placed correctly. bring this up to the dentist also. If you are not satisfied, seek another opinion. you will usually get an unbiased opinion at a dental school. good luck
A related discussion, Can you get a metallic taste from dental crowns? was started.