Dental Health Community
Crown that takes 2 hours to put in?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Crown that takes 2 hours to put in?

I am supposed to have a crown Thursday.  I have 2 crowns and it was so simple.  I would get a temp and then a perm crown placed over the tooth.   Not a big deal.

My new dentist wants to put in a post, drill it in then laser some of my gum away and place a crown.  doesn't this sound a bit extreme for a simple crown??   I have to admit I am a little nervous about getting a crown out in, I think I would almost rather have another root canal than this,
Tags: crown, dentist
If you have root canal done you really should get a crown because the tooth will be dead and can break apart. 2 hours dose seem like a long time. Can I ask why your old dentist is not doing this for you?
My old dentist refused to give me a payment plan so I went to his other dentist.

I think a post and a gingivecyomy ( laser gums) seems extreme for a crown.
A post is not uncommon when having a root canal. Did the dentist say you have gingivitis and that's why they want to laser your gums? If you do have gingivitis around that area it would make sense because the gum needs to grow around the crown, which it can't if you have gingivitis, just like your natural tooth. Is this a molar tooth your having the work done on? That could also explain the post because those teeth are so big.
It's only tooth 4.  it's on the top, the first upper molar but a smaller tooth.
Mean_Kitty, he may be suggesting a post because there is not enough of a natural tooth left for the crown to be cemented on.

I am more puzzled about gingivectomy. It is usually done in periodontitis where huge pockets are present, but for a RCT. Not sure, unless there is gingival hyperplasia present or something along those lines.

Removing gingiva just for the sake of crown, seems like it may rise issues with biologic width.

Mean_KItty was the need for the gingivectomy explained to you? By law they should tell you the procedure and why they are doing that.
he said to make room for the crown, plus there was a lot of decay.  It had been 6 months since my root canal.  The gingivesctomy was actually the most painful part.