Dental Health Community
Crown that takes 2 hours to put in?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Crown that takes 2 hours to put in?

I am supposed to have a crown Thursday.  I have 2 crowns and it was so simple.  I would get a temp and then a perm crown placed over the tooth.   Not a big deal.

My new dentist wants to put in a post, drill it in then laser some of my gum away and place a crown.  doesn't this sound a bit extreme for a simple crown??   I have to admit I am a little nervous about getting a crown out in, I think I would almost rather have another root canal than this,
Tags: crown, dentist
Related Discussions
6 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
If you have root canal done you really should get a crown because the tooth will be dead and can break apart. 2 hours dose seem like a long time. Can I ask why your old dentist is not doing this for you?
Blank
1090984_tn?1339099399
My old dentist refused to give me a payment plan so I went to his other dentist.

I think a post and a gingivecyomy ( laser gums) seems extreme for a crown.
Blank
A post is not uncommon when having a root canal. Did the dentist say you have gingivitis and that's why they want to laser your gums? If you do have gingivitis around that area it would make sense because the gum needs to grow around the crown, which it can't if you have gingivitis, just like your natural tooth. Is this a molar tooth your having the work done on? That could also explain the post because those teeth are so big.
Blank
1090984_tn?1339099399
It's only tooth 4.  it's on the top, the first upper molar but a smaller tooth.
Blank
2084768_tn?1332386042
Mean_Kitty, he may be suggesting a post because there is not enough of a natural tooth left for the crown to be cemented on.

I am more puzzled about gingivectomy. It is usually done in periodontitis where huge pockets are present, but for a RCT. Not sure, unless there is gingival hyperplasia present or something along those lines.

Removing gingiva just for the sake of crown, seems like it may rise issues with biologic width.

Mean_KItty was the need for the gingivectomy explained to you? By law they should tell you the procedure and why they are doing that.
Blank
1090984_tn?1339099399
he said to make room for the crown, plus there was a lot of decay.  It had been 6 months since my root canal.  The gingivesctomy was actually the most painful part.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Dental Health Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...