Dental Health Community
Crown with pain on top and inner side

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Crown with pain on top and inner side

First of all, I have a very small bite and a jaw that locks when a dentist works on me.  I finally found someone willingly to work on a tooth that had cracked on the inner edge.  So I had a crown put on the tooth next to my last molar.  I  do not have wisdom teeth.  The crown was made of a composite mixed with nickel.  My last molar has a gold crown on it.  This is next to the new crown and I have never had any problems with it.  Now the problem:  I have terrible pain brushing, eating, or touching this new crown.  Most of the pain is on the inner side and top.  I often have the taste of metal in my mouth since I had the new crown put on.  My dentist said everything looks alright including my bite.  But I still have the chronic pain.  I can't eat anything on that side.  I have gone to eating all soft foods.  I don't know what I should do next.  The dentist suggested an oral surgeon.  Is it possible the two different types of metals used for the crown could be the problem and reacting with each other?  My gums are swollen and red now around both teeth.