Dental Health Expert Forum
Crowning over infected teeth

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Crowning over infected teeth

About three years ago, I went and got crowns on my front teeth. Since that time, I have experienced several infections, and surgeries. My ex rays showed infection before the doctor put on the crowns. However, he did not treat the infection until after the fact. Now I'm facing possible extraction of two of the crowned teeth, where the infection was spotted in the beginning.
If the doctor would have treated the infection, would I have the problems I am suffering today? What are the odds of everything being alright, if the infection was addressed properly?

Thanks for your attention.  
Sorry.  That's a tough question to answer since I wasn't there to see what was going on prior to and after the crowns were placed.

Have you gone to another dentist to seek a second opinion?  You can request for x-rays from your current dentist and compare the x-rays from before to now.  I'm not sure if it'll help but it may provide some information in regards to your situation.