Dental Health Community
DENTURE QUESTION

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

DENTURE QUESTION

Hi All, I'm waiting to have all my teeth taken out as I have gum disease. The dentist told me that when I wake up after the extractions I will have my dentures in place. I was a bit surprised at this as I thought the gums would have to heal first but apparantly they will be fitted on bleeding, very sore gums. I am not having implants, just plain old dentures. Has anyone else experienced this?
What you describe are called immediate dentures, and they are very common, especially in our esthetic minded country.  These are usually concidered temporary dentures, because after your teeth come out, your bone is going to go through a lot of changes in the next 3-6 months, which will cause the dentures to become loose.  Because of this, dentists usually do one of two things:

1) Include the price of a reline in the price of the immediate dentures
2) Or, they straight up tell the patient that they are temporary dentures and advise having new ones made (or these relined) in 6 months.
I would ask about this and see if the price is included or not.

Another good thing about immediate dentures is the dentures act as a pressure gauze to help stop the bleeding and protect the tissues as they heal.
Thanks for that. That's gotta hurt plenty! Dentures on open bleeding sore gums. Not looking forward to it one bit.