Dental Health Expert Forum
Decaying gum tissue - no pain

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Decaying gum tissue - no pain
I've noticed last week two patches of grey gum tissue near my first molars to the front on the roof of my mouth. I didn't notice there was a problem until I happened to find a small mirror and check the inside of my mouth to see the gum's condition. I scratched the grey areas with a dental pick and the grey/black areas easily came off, leaving painful open sores. The skin that came off was blackish in color (rotting) and thick. I have continued to use salt and water to cleanse the area and it has healed nicely but I fear a reoccurence of this problem. A possible cause I can think of is that my plastic retainer could have put pressure in that area, causing these areas to die. My real fear is gum disease because my dental hygenist said I had mild gingivitis more than 6 months ago but I didn't take any special care to cure it.

Thank you very much in advance,
Fae
It is possible that the retainer is causing some irritation of the gum tissue. It is difficult to diagnosis this without seeing it. See your dentist,a periodontist or an oral surgeon.
maybe u should try polident it has a lot of uses...it can be used as mouthwash and it can also be a mouth cleanser...it cleans every single edge of ur mouth...maybe it would help...