Dental Health Community
Deep Dental Cleaning 2 weeks ago and gums still swollen and painful
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Deep Dental Cleaning 2 weeks ago and gums still swollen and painful

Approximately 3 weeks ago I had an abcess (abscess) on my lower left tooth.  My dentist put me on antiobiotics for 7 days.  I went back a week later for a deep cleaning on my lower left quadrant.  I was told to rinse with warm water and salt and to massage the gum. I was also told that it would take about a week to heal.  After a week my gums were still swollen and painful.... I then called my dentist and he said that it was normal and sometimes it takes more than a week to heal and not to worry.  Well, it is now two weeks after the procedure.  Some days it looks like it's healing and other days it's swollen to the touch.  The tooth that was originally acessed  looks worse.  It is red and inflamed looking doesn't look like it's improved much.  If it is infected wouldn't it be super painful??  It doesn't hurt the way it did before I took the antiobiotics  Should I wait a little longer to see if it improves?  Why is it not healing? When I went in with the abcessed tooth my dentist said I should be checked for diabetes?????  why would he say that I didn't ask  I mentioned that I had a complete physical, which included blood work....which was done 2 weeks prior and everything checked out fine! my glucose level was about 104  a little high, but my doctor didn't think anything of if.  I am really worried :-/