Dental Health Community
Delayed root canal treatment after tooth abscess

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

I had a painful abscess. The dentist prescribed penicillin and suggested root canal work to save the tooth. The penicillin relieved the pain but the swelling remains. I agreed to the root canal work but the appointment is a month away - it is already 6 weeks since I finished the penicillin treatment and I have a fairly large swelling on the gum (which isn't painful). Is the delay in root canal treatment likely to be problem?
yes it totally is..thats every wierd ur dr is makin u wait that long.usually after givin patient penicillin the dr starts rct within 10 days..may not finish but at least starts a pulpatomy,so the tooth will calm down.i would look into a new dentist if i was u..and btw make sure to get crown on tooth asap after rct is done..good luck