Dental Health Expert Forum
Dental Bone Graft Recovery

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Dental Bone Graft Recovery

I would like to know if my experience with bone graft surgery is in normal range and what to expect in recovery/healing process. I had surgery 8 days ago to place bone grafts for future implants for top center two teeth.  Most of the swelling is gone but gum tissue is still very tender and bone beneath surgical area still throbbing as well as two teeth on either side of surgical site.  I'm still on pain meds (Vicadin - can't take anything like ibuprofin because of stomuch) and antibiotics. Eating even soft stuff is irritating to tissue and aggravating to general mouth bones.  Talking also is difficult and adds pain. My dentist looked at it 3 days ago and said things looked fine and healing although the two teeth that are sore have been "stressed" so need to keep watch on them. Immediately after surgery he had instructed me to wear "flipper" as much as possible so swelling wouldnt make the flipper unable to fit.  After seeing it he then recomended I wear flipper as little as possible to reduce irritation of tisssue.  So, am I a "baby"; was I naive to expect more quick healing; while the discomfrt is getting better it feels microscopic and I'm still pretty much laid low.  How much longer before I can expect to feel significantly better?  
Tags: irritable
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Well, you are not a 'baby' this is difficult surgery and it seems to me that the healing is going along as well as can be expected. If the flipper is irritating the tissue I would use it as little as possible. Give it some time and you will be fine.
I had my bone craft surgery to repair a cleft palate two weeks agao and my response has been similar to yours; but I was told explicitly not to wear my flipper at all as it could affect the bone from stabilizing.

I'm a former adult figure skating champion and visualization was part of my training so a friend gave me a CD by Barb Pasternak that had a pre and post-op visulalization technqiue. I listen to it every day. That plus added vitamin C (helps with wound recovery) and E, has I believe, accelerated my healing.

My oral surgeon said everything is ahead or on schedule. Pain is normal and I'm still on full fluids for the most part, but heh that's great for the waist line.  Every time I feel an pain zing, I think of it as the body absorbing the bone. 'Own the Bone', I say to myself. I know it sounds hookey but it helps me minimize the scaredy feeling that can wash over me. Yesterday I did too much, laundary, errands, cooking dinner and talking to girlfriends so sure I hurt, oops. So today I had a very, very low key day with only a bit of computer work and movies in bed.  My surgeon said it takes 3 to 6 weeks for full bone integration.  
I had my bone graft surgery to repair a cleft palate two weeks agao and my response has been similar to yours; but I was told explicitly not to wear my flipper at all as it could affect the bone from stabilizing.

A related discussion, Oral Bone Graft was started.
A related discussion, bone graft was started.
A related discussion, bone graft, and bleeding was started.