Dental Health Expert Forum
Dental Bone Graft

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Dental Bone Graft
Two weeks ago I had a bone graft in my lower jaw. Also two teeth were pulled. I had many stitches and it looks as if all the stitches broke or were absorbed. My gum area is wide open. My dentist just saw me this past Thursday and said I was not infected but if I had a problem to call him. My question is: Is this normal to have the surgical area so open? I can see the membrane and there is a gaping hole near the remaining molar in the back of my mouth.
Is there any pain in the area?  Is the actual membrane exposed or is it just the area healing.  People commonly mistaken the collagen that forms after surgery as a membrane when in fact, its just the normal healing process taking place.  

The area may be open a bit but it will close on its own.