Dental Bone Grafts for Seniors
What are the odds for successful dental bone grafts in people over 65?  I have two upper teeth that "might" be saved if grafting is successful.  Otherwise they will have to be extracted due to bone loss and included in a partial upper plate that is currently planned to replace missing upper teeth on the other side. I don't want to go through the expense and pain of a grafting procedure unless the chances for success are high.
hello, my experience with bone grafting depends on the bone type you have. In other words, if it is narrow, your chances for success are limited. Ask your dentist this question. In addition, ask him/her if your bone loss is either horizontal or vertical, or both.
I am 71.  My dentist was to do a root canal for an upper L eye tooth - During this procedure, he said the tooth  had suddenly collapsed and needed to be extracted.  I was bleeding profusely, so I said OK.  Maybe I could get an implant.  He disagreed and said I needed a bridge instead.  I felt presssured and agreed.  He extracted the tooth and Proceeded to measure for crowns on 2 adjacent teeth.  He put it all together then - stitches, etc. I was there 5 hours!   I was upset and exhausted,  but what could I do??  I had no way out!  The temp teeth looked terrible, with a large gap in front.   9 days later, the permanent ones were placed.  The bridge has a huge hole at the top where the missing eye tooth is.  The back of the bridge feels like sandpaper.  When I looked at my bill, I saw that he had charged for a bone graft!  I never agreed to this.  Also, I have been ill since this procedure occurred.  He refused to give me antibiotics and a week later I was terrible sick with fever, etc.  My regular doctor gave me cipro.  My bloodwork was abnormal.  I haven't felt well since and it's been over 1 1/2 months since the procedure.    Maybe it is all just a coincidence, but please tell me can a BONE GRAFT make you sick?

thank you